Enrico Castellani (b. 1930, Castelmassa, Rovigo – 2017, Viterbo, Italy) moved to Brussels in 1952 where he studied Painting and Sculpture at the Académie des Beaux Arts before graduating in architecture at the École Nationale Supérieure de la Cambre in 1956. One of Italy's most influential artists, he contributed to the avant-garde movement in the 1950s and 1960s of Europe. He is best known for his "paintings of light" that merge art, space and architecture to transcend the confines of painting. Together with Piero Manzoni, who had ties with artists throughout Europe, he was an active member of the Zero group; he founded the magazine Azimuth and a gallery of the same name. It was there that he held his first solo exhibition in 1960.
Day by day he creates new relief surfaces in which “infinite encounters, agonizing waits, tautological commensuration, existential suffering and utopian substantiations” take place, convinced of the validity and timeliness of his inventive spirit. In recent years the importance of his work has been recognized and validated internationally.